THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, April 27, 2009

So It Has Been Said...

So protected from the world by my religious parents, was I, that I did not come to know of the multi-genre world of music until I hit middle school. Forced to ride the bus, I was introduced to rhythms and beats different from the contemporary gospel sound I had grown up with. So new to me and widely embraced by my peers, I followed the (what was called) HIPHOP trend and sang along with Jay-Z's, "H to the Izzo, V to the Izza" and Creed's "With arms wide open..." Did it define me? No. It moved me.
Once a quiet child, I became outspoken and challenging. Though I could not understand completely what I was listening to, the obsession with hip-hop/R&B/Neo-Soul overcame me. I had to wake up to it, eat to it, dance to it, sleep to it - I had so embraced the sound. A part of me wants to believe it grew from a lyrical passion which defines me today.
You can imagine then, my devastation when Hip-hop’s morality came into question. Of course I understood that the message being portrayed of Black women (or Black Americans as a whole) was negative and degrading, but at such a young age this did not hold much weight on me. However, the supposed underlying morality of Hip-hop is what threw me. Many make claim that Hip-hop and many others musical genres (Heavy metal, Rock, Rhythm & Blues, Neo-Soul) is rooted in demonic acts; that it forces people to do or act with certain behaviors that are not initially their own.
Though there are some who support music, "Music...has played an instrumental role in healing and harmonizing the mind, body, and spirit(CarolAnn Bailey-Lloyd);" However, there are many more to say that these genres are foul ; corrupting the people who listen to it - especially the impressionable youth.
The question now is:
True or false?

0 comments: